Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Marketing your content

It's been about four months since I started on the topic of Social Media Marketing and its impact on small businesses. While I have enjoyed exploring the platform (and writing about it in Entrepreneur and biztech2.com), the real learnings actually began when I decided to set up my own blog on the subject about a month ago.

Having my own blog had its plus points: For one, I could actually just use it to post links to other great posts on the topic. I could use it also to interact and a build a community that would contribute and help build out a platform for small businesses.

Of course that was the theory. In practice, I discovered that I now end up spending more time figuring out ways to get traffic going for my blog...than anything else. It is during this process I realized the importance, of not only writing great content, but also marketing it. Be it an individual blog, like mine, or a company blog...unless we can get the traffic going...our efforts are meaningless.

Again building the traffic is not an overnight process...especially, I have decided not to pay for any marketing activity...be it SEO, adwords or even Facebook ads. I found this post, to be an interesting and practical guide to marketing content. You too can use it to help drive traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment